Briefly introduced to clay and pottery while student in Boston during the early 1940s, it was in the early 1950s that Edith Franklin pursued studio arts in earnest. But with Harvey Littleton as her instructor and guide at The Toledo Museum of Art, she quickly advanced from student to peer and with his help, she and fellow ceramicist Joe Ann Cousino co-founded the Toledo Potter’s Guild in 1951. Later, in the early 60s, Littleton invited Franklin to participate in the first experimental glass workshop on the museum grounds, an event which launched the Studio Glass Movement.
But clay remained her preferred medium and for the next 4 decades, Franklin continued to produce works that were met with critical acclaim and admiration, while also working hard to organize and support Toledo area artists.
Many of the Franklin works available through River House Arts were produced between 1950 and 1980.